ASA Technical Committee on
Signal Processing in Acoustics
The Technical Committee on Signal Processing in Acoustics (TCSP) is one of 13 Technical Committees in the ASA. These committees are central to the organization of the Acoustical Society of America and are coordinated through the Technical Council.
The Programs and Initiatives of TCSP are continuously evolving. Ongoing and new items are discussed at each meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, where the Technical Committee meetings are generally held immediately following the Socials. These Committee meetings are open to everyone interested in Signal Processing in Acoustics. You are heartily invited to attend and make your views known; help to shape the community of acoustics to which we belong..
The purpose of the Technical Committee on Signal Processing in Acoustics is to increase and diffuse knowledge of signal processing as used in the field of acoustics. Signal processing is used in virtually every field of acoustics. Topics include, but are certainly not limited to:
- time-frequency analysis
- Fourier transforms
- wavelet analysis
- Kalman and particle filters
- Bayesian signal processing
- sparse approximations
- time reversal
- model-based processing
The Technical Committee on Signal Processing in Acoustics is concerned with promoting the following objectives:
1. To foster interdisciplinary interaction among Technical Committees in matters pertaining to signal processing in acoustics
2. To organize technical sessions on the broad principles of signal processing in acoustics
3. To develop initiatives and enhance interest and activity in signal processing in acoustics
4. To provide a contact point for inquiries, recommendations,and information both within and outside the Society on signal processing in acoustics
5. To provide a forum for discussion of technical, organizational, and other issues related to signal processing in acoustics.
The Technical Committee on Signal processing in Acoustics (TC-SP) was created from the Interdisciplinary Technical Group on Signal Processing in Acoustics (ITG-SP) at the Newport Beach meeting of the ASA, December 8, 2000. The Rules of the Society were modified to reflect the intended structure of an interdisciplinary group and to allow for future evolution of (new) interdisciplinary groups.
In addition to the regular and special technical sessions it sponsors, TC-SP (and previously ITG-SP) has sponsored various technical initiatives, including
- Short courses
- Hot Topics sessions
- Distinguished lectures
- Topical meetings
- Meetings with other organizations
- Gallery of Acoustics
- Student Challenge Problem
- Student receptions
- Best Young Presenter Awards
The Technical Committee on Signal Processing in Acoustics maintains a close liaison with the other Technical Committees through liaison representatives.
The Gallery of Acoustics has been a popular initiative, displaying appealing image, audio, and video contributions representing different areas of acoustics.